Below you can find the rules of the race. Please read them through carefully as they have been slightly altered for the 2019 edition!
- Participants join the race in teams of two people.
- The race begins on June 14th at 6 pm from the outdoor amphitheater of the Helsinki Opera House.
- Teams have to hitchhike to a secret destination, that will be disclosed at the start of the race.
- On their way to the secret destination, teams have to pass checkpoints of varying difficulty and value.
- Teams have to hitchhike at least 3 rides for at least 100 kms.
- The winning team will be determined based on their time of arrival to the secret destination and the checkpoints they have completed.
- Teams not reaching the secret destination by Sunday noon will be disqualified.
- Both team members must always travel using the same vehicle.
- Teams are not allowed to pre-arrange rides.
- Using public transportation is allowed ONLY inside a city, and within the Helsinki capital city region (Helsinki-Espoo-Vantaa-Kauniainen).
- You are allowed to travel by sea, but it won’t help you much.
- You are not allowed to pay for your ride, except in situations mentioned in rule 10. Don’t break any laws.
- The participation fee is 30 euros per person.
- Behave well, be fair and show respect.
- Be honest and don’t cheat. The whole concept of the race is based on trust and good will.
- You are responsible for yourselves. Don’t take any unnecessary risks.
- Think also of the drivers’ safety when looking for hitchhiking spots.
If you have any questions about the rules of the race, please don’t hesitate to contact the organizers: info(a)hitchball4000.fi.