Below you can find the rules of the race. Please read them through carefully as they have been slightly altered for the 2017 edition!
- Participants join the race in teams of two people, where both genders are strongly encouraged to be represented.
- Teams have to hitchhike to pre-determined checkpoints across Finland and neighboring countries (the checkpoints will be announced in May). Each checkpoint gives a certain amount of points.
- The race begins on June 2nd at 6 pm from the outdoor amphitheater of the Helsinki Opera House.
- The race ends on June 4th at 11 pm. After this, the teams must reach a location in central Helsinki (that will be disclosed to participants separately) at latest Monday morning 11 am.
- The winning team is the one having the highest number of points and having returned to Helsinki in time. Contrary to previous editions, this year the goal of the race is not to hitchhike as far as possible, but to collect points by visiting different checkpoints.
- If you are late (=arrive after Monday 11am), you will receive 10 penalty points for every starting half an hour. Teams arriving after Monday 11 pm or later will be disqualified.
- Possible female-female teams will see their score affected by a multiplier of 0.9.
- Both team members must always travel using the same vehicle.
- Teams are not allowed to pre-arrange rides.
- Using public transportation is allowed ONLY inside a city, and within the Helsinki capital city region (Helsinki-Espoo-Vantaa-Kauniainen), and on the sea.
- You are allowed to travel by sea, for example to Stockholm or Tallinn.
- You are not allowed to pay for your ride, except in situations mentioned in rule 10. Don’t break any laws.
- The participation fee is 10 euros per person.
- Behave well, be fair and show respect.
- Be honest and don’t cheat. The whole concept of the race is based on trust and good will.
- You are responsible for yourselves. Don’t take any unnecessary risks.
- Think also of the drivers’ safety when looking for hitchhiking spots.
If you have any questions about the rules of the race, please don’t hesitate to contact the organizers: info(a)hitchball4000.fi.